An academically oriented policy and research collaborative focused on facilitating research and scholarship to promote new and innovative public policy solutions to the challenges faced by children.
Chair of the Institute
Angelo P. Giardino, MD, PhD, MPH
Chief Medical Officer, Texas Children’s Health Plan
Clinical Professor-Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine
Click here to view the full list of C@R Institute members.
Journal of Applied Research on Children
The Journal of Applied Research on Children, or JARC, is an open access, peer-reviewed online journal and is published by the CHILDREN AT RISK Institute with the Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. Launched in September 2010, JARC serves to inform policy affecting children by providing applicable research to the public, child advocates, and policy makers on timely children’s issues. The journal seeks to encourage academics to focus on the needs of children and make practical children-focused research available and accessible to the public for use and dissemination. See the latest issue here.
Journal of Family Strengths
The Journal of Family Strengths (JFS), formerly Family Preservation Journal, is an open access, peer-reviewed online journal produced by the CHILDREN AT RISK Institute in partnership with the Center for Family Strengths at the University of Houston-Downtown and the Houston Academy Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library. JFS is devoted to presenting theoretical, practice, and evaluation articles on the strengths perspective in family-centered practice to improve services that promote and sustain family systems. See the latest issue here.
- Baylor College of Medicine
- Center for Public Policy Priorities
- Mental Health and Mental Retardation Authority of Harris County
- Rice University
- Southern Methodist University
- Spring Branch Independent School District
- Texas A&M University
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- Texas Southern University
- University of Houston
- University of Houston-Downtown
- University of St. Thomas
- University of Texas Southwestern
- University of Texas
- University of Texas Health Science Center
- Regular White Papers and Other Publications
- Biennial Book “Growing Up in Houston”
- Open Access Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Grant Partnerships (Research Dissemination and Policy)
For more information about the CHILDREN AT RISK Institute, please e-mail Marissa Madsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.