The Public Policy and Law Center (PPLC) was established in 2006 as an outgrowth of CHILDREN AT RISK’s longtime research and advocacy work and in response to the American Bar Association’s appeal to the private bar, “[to] get involved and use its legal expertise on behalf of Houston’s children (American Bar Association Children’s Rights Litigation Committee, 2004).” The mission of CHILDREN AT RISK’s Public Policy and Law Center is to improve the lives of children across Texas through:
- Legal and policy research and advocacy;
- Legislative and administrative rule drafting;
- Drafting of amicus briefs and impact litigation; and,
- Continuing education for attorneys and other professionals on children’s legal and policy issues.
Led by a Law Advisory Board of over 35 attorneys from the legal and business community and a Public Policy Advisory Board of over 25 leaders from the public policy and non-profit community, and staffed with a dedicated and creative group of attorneys and public policy analysts, the PPLC has been tremendously successful in its first years of operation.
- Learn more about the important legislation that will impact children during the previous Texas Legislative Session by viewing CHILDREN AT RISK’s 82nd Legislative Report.
- See CHILDREN AT RISK’s most recent policy priorities and recommendations for kids in our Executive Summaries on the Future of Texas’ Children.