- This event has passed.
The Future of Children: Ending Childhood Poverty
July 21 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Recent changes for children and families living below the federal poverty line have been significant. Join Texas Family Leadership Council (TXFLC) and CHILDREN AT RISK on July 21st to myth-bust poverty, unpack what federal legislation means for low-income families, and explore the next frontier of ending poverty #ForChildren.
This annual Future of Children summit will address the root causes and common misconceptions of childhood poverty to offer attendees a better understanding of the holistic picture of income inequity in America. National experts will gather to discuss the true cost of childhood poverty for our children and communities, and explore novel solutions to mitigate economic disparity.
Featured Discussion Topics:
- Welcome by Leah King, President & CEO, United Way of Tarrant County
- Myth-busting Poverty Interactive survey
- Poverty & Extreme Poverty – Data overview with Sharmily Roy, Director of the Center for Social Measurement & Evaluation, CHILDREN AT RISK
Session One: Childhood Poverty & New Opportunities
- Stuck in the Cycle: Systems Design with John Siburt D. Min, CEO, CitySquare
- Disparities & Opportunity Discussion with Kim Kofron, Director, Early Childhood Education, CHILDREN AT RISK, Kenn Harris, Executive Project Director, NICHQ, and Diana Rauner Ph.D., President, Start Early
- Finding Innovation with Alan Cohen, President & CEO, Child Poverty Action Lab (CPAL)
Session Two: Community Conversations on Extreme Poverty
- Texas Colonias with Maria Covernali Ortiz, Executive Director, Familias Triunfadoras
- Chicago, Illinois with Danielle Jordan, Senior Master Teacher, Start Early Brenda Eiland-Williford, Director of Program & Curricula, Start Early
Session Three: A tale of two poverties
- In the Field with Anna Hardway, Chief Programs Officer, CHILDREN AT RISK, Lesley Graham, Senior Director of Community Impact, Save the Children US, and Kristi Rangel, Public Health Education Chief, My Brother’s Keeper Houston, City of Houston Health Department
Session Four: The Next Frontier
- Keynote: Changing Poverty Narratives with Anthony Barrows, Managing Director, Ideas42
- Bold and Audacious Ideas – Panel Discussion with Bob Sanborn, Ed.d., President & CEO, CHILDREN AT RISK, Leah King, President & CEO, United Way of Tarrant County, and Sylvia Acosta, CEO, YWCA El Paso Del Norte