COVID-19 changed our public education landscape nearly overnight. Thousands of Texas schools and nearly 5.5 million students faced a school year like never before. Schools had to quickly develop tools andresources that would support the pivot to a virtual classroom...
Media Contact: Rashena Flagg, 713.301.4577 Research shows petrochemical plants within close proximity to schools negatively impact a child’s performance. On April 25, CHILDREN AT RISK released a new report analyzing the proximity of petrochemical plants to...
Exposure to high-quality child care is the foundation for a child’s academic and social-emotional success, especially for children from low-income families. Increasing access to subsidized child care is one of the many strategies used to provide affordable early...
Sleep is an essential ingredient in children’s long-term health and development, yet at least 1 in 3 US children are not getting enough. In the most recent National Survey of Children’s Health, nearly 35% of children (ages 4 months – 17) received less than the...
Illicit Massage Businesses (IMBs) use the cover of a legitimate service to engage in prostitution and often human trafficking by using force, fraud or coercion to compel the women working there to provide sexual services to the buyers who patronize these places. IMBs...
Since 1989, CHILDREN AT RISK has helped children overcome the challenges of growing up. We know that kids are at risk for many different reasons, including poverty, abuse and neglect, discrimination, lack of quality education, or healthcare access. That’s why our work...
Texas House Bill 1540 went into effect this September. The bill is a key component of the 'Texas Model' to combat commercial sex - and its associated harms including the fueling of sex trafficking - through strengthening buyer accountability. The bill makes...
In the digital age, social media has become an integral part of our everyday lives. It is nearly impossible for children or young adults to imagine life without Facebook - Instagram plus all the counterparts that came before them! As more kids grow up in this society...
For more than a decade, CHILDREN AT RISK (C@R) has ranked and graded Texas public schools to help parents, educators, and community members understand how schools in their community are performing, and to spark dialogue on the quality of public education across Texas....
IN THE TIME OF COVID: School Policies & Student RightsCOVID-19 changed our public education landscape overnight. Thousands of Texas schools and nearly 5.5 million students had to adapt to new policies and health guidelines. As schools grapple with COVID's impact,...
Texas Early Childhood Education Newsletter I September 2021 Before the COVID-19 pandemic, child care centers were some of the most economically vulnerable businesses in Texas. During the pandemic, Texas families relied on child care providers more than ever for...
Climate change is a global emergency, but its impacts are not equally distributed across our society. Children, especially children in economically disadvantaged or historically marginalized communities, bear the greatest impact. From increasing exposure to pollution...
RESOURCES & DATA TOOLS
Early Childhood Education
- Voices from the Field: Texas Child Care Providers Building Back Better (TX ECE Newsletter – Sept. 2021)
- COVID-19 Community Initiatives Supporting Children 0-5 and their Families (TX ECE Newsletter – Dec. 2020)
- Investment & Innovation: Increasing Access to Quality, Affordable Child Care Before & During a Crisis (2020)
- Early Childhood Apprenticeship Programs: Creating a Pipeline of Highly-Qualified Teachers (2019)
- Building Brains and Economies: Quality Child Care as an Engine for Economic Development in a 21st Century Texas (2018)
- Improved the Quality of Child Care Through Economies of Scale: A Look at Shared Services Approaches for Texas (2018)
- Pre-K in Texas: A Critical Component for Academic Success (2016)
- The Early Investment Project: Subsidized Child Care in Texas (2016)
- The State of Pre-K: Realities and Opportunities in Texas (2014)
- The Sex Trafficking Marketplace: Addressing Demand through Legislation and Tactics (2015)
- The Texas Safe House Movement: An Examination of Restorative Shelter Core Components and Recommendations (2011)
- The State of Human Trafficking in Texas (2009)
- Slavery Out of the Shadows (TYLA video featuring former Senior Staff Attorney, Dawn Lew, and CEO, Dr. Sanborn)
Texas Legislative Resources
- 83rd Legislative Session Report (2013)
- Report on Human Trafficking Legislation (2013)
- 83rd Legislative Session Priorities (2013)
- 82nd Legislative Session Report (2011)
- Report on Human Trafficking Legislation (2011)
- 82nd Legislative Session Priorities (2011)
Child Health & Nutrition
- Universal School Breakfast and At-Risk Afterschool Meal Case Studies (2014-2018)
- Food for Every Child: The Need for Healthy Food Retail in the Greater Dallas Area (2015)
- School Breakfast Programs in North Texas and Across the State (2013)
- Roadmap for Encouraging Grocery Development in Houston and Texas (full report) 2012
Growing Up Publications
- Growing Up in Houston, 2017-2018
- Growing Up in North Texas 2016: A Community Assessment for Tarrant County
- Growing Up in Houston, 2014-2016
- Growing Up In Houston, 2012-2014
- Growing Up in Houston, 2010-2012
- The Future of North Texas Children: Assessing the Quality of Life of Our Children, 2012-2014
- The Future of Texas: A Report on the Status of Our Children, 2010-2012
- The Future of Fort Bend’s Children, 2012-2014
- Fort Bend County Assessment, 2013
- The Future of Fort Bend’s Children, 2010-2012
Immigration & New American Children
Parenting & Family Well-Being
- Fatherhood Resources – National and Texas (2015)
- The State of Parent Education in Dallas County (2014)
- Triple P Parenting Pilot Evaluation (full report) (2014)
- A National Survey of Parent Support Legislation and Regulations (2014)
- Scaling Up Evidence-Based Parent Education in Houston, Texas (2013)
- Parents’ Perception of Parent Education Survey Results (2013)
- The State of Parent Education in Houston, TX, (2012)