Illicit Massage Businesses (IMBs) use the cover of a legitimate service to engage in prostitution and often human trafficking by using force, fraud or coercion to compel the women working there to provide sexual services to the buyers who patronize these places. IMBs...
From President & CEO of CHILDREN AT RISK, Dr. Robert Sanborn Data must be the catalyst and starting point to any conversation regarding the well-being of our children. While we can look at a multitude of indicators to gauge how we are doing as a city and state, we...
CHILDREN AT RISK, in partnership with Fort Bend ISD’s Collaborative Communities, have released the 2019 Community Resource Guide. With versions in Spanish and English for schools counselors and nurses and parents alike, the guide lists the many non-profits in Fort...
Having trouble navigating your child’s school system? Unsure of your child’s education options? Looking to make sure your child is getting the services they need to succeed? Our 2018 regional Parent Action Guides aim to help parents answer these questions and more....
On a nine-city tour, CHILDREN AT RISK unveiled an executive summary of their upcoming report, Building Brains and Economies: Quality Child Care as an Engine for Economic Development in a 21st Century Texas, as well as a mapping tool to help local and state leaders...
Composed of over 40 individuals from the public, private and nonprofit sectors, the Houston SNAP Task Force was convened by Houston Food Bank, Food Research & Action Center, and The Food Trust, and co-chaired by Houston Food Bank and CHILDREN AT RISK. The Houston...
For students, recess serves as a break in the day for brains to relax and bodies to recharge. Students with recess are happier, healthier, and more focused. This time, often short, brings joy to many school children and teachers alike, yet its presence in a daily...
By David McClendon & Jamey Caruthers, CHILDREN AT RISK Across the state of Texas, there are hundreds of illegal massage businesses (IMBs) acting as fronts for human trafficking and sexual exploitation. These illicit businesses are found in nearly all major Texas...
On December 17, 2015, the District Court of the Southern District of Texas declared that Texas’s foster system “is broken, and it has been that way for decades.” The Court ruled that Texas had violated foster children’s Fourteenth Amendment substantive due process...
With funding from the Meadows Foundation, researchers at CHILDREN AT RISK engaged in a study to examine how participation in Texas public Pre-K is associated with performance on the 3rd Grade STAAR Reading assessment. CHILDREN AT RISK tracked approximately 47,000...
Thanks to the generous support of the Texas Bar Foundation, CHILDREN AT RISK is pleased to announce the release of its latest publication, The Sex Trafficking Marketplace: Addressing Demand through Legislation and Tactics. In order to better understand the sex...
RESOURCES & DATA TOOLS
Early Childhood Education
- Improved the Quality of Child Care Through Economies of Scale: A Look at Shared Services Approaches for Texas (2018)
- Pre-K in Texas: A Critical Component for Academic Success (2016)
- The Early Investment Project: Subsidized Child Care in Texas (2016)
- The State of Pre-K: Realities and Opportunities in Texas (2014)
- The Sex Trafficking Marketplace: Addressing Demand through Legislation and Tactics (2015)
- The Texas Safe House Movement: An Examination of Restorative Shelter Core Components and Recommendations (2011)
- The State of Human Trafficking in Texas (2009)
- Slavery Out of the Shadows (TYLA video featuring former Senior Staff Attorney, Dawn Lew, and CEO, Dr. Sanborn)
Texas Legislative Resources
- 83rd Legislative Session Report (2013)
- Report on Human Trafficking Legislation (2013)
- 83rd Legislative Session Priorities (2013)
- 82nd Legislative Session Report (2011)
- Report on Human Trafficking Legislation (2011)
- 82nd Legislative Session Priorities (2011)
Child Health & Nutrition
- Universal School Breakfast and At-Risk Afterschool Meal Case Studies (2014-2018)
- Food for Every Child: The Need for Healthy Food Retail in the Greater Dallas Area (2015)
- School Breakfast Programs in North Texas and Across the State (2013)
- Roadmap for Encouraging Grocery Development in Houston and Texas (full report) 2012
Growing Up Publications
- Growing Up in Houston, 2017-2018
- Growing Up in North Texas 2016: A Community Assessment for Tarrant County
- Growing Up in Houston, 2014-2016
- Growing Up In Houston, 2012-2014
- Growing Up in Houston, 2010-2012
- The Future of North Texas Children: Assessing the Quality of Life of Our Children, 2012-2014
- The Future of Texas: A Report on the Status of Our Children, 2010-2012
- The Future of Fort Bend’s Children, 2012-2014
- Fort Bend County Assessment, 2013
- The Future of Fort Bend’s Children, 2010-2012
Immigration & New American Children
Parenting & Family Well-Being
- Fatherhood Resources – National and Texas (2015)
- The State of Parent Education in Dallas County (2014)
- Triple P Parenting Pilot Evaluation (full report) (2014)
- A National Survey of Parent Support Legislation and Regulations (2014)
- Scaling Up Evidence-Based Parent Education in Houston, Texas (2013)
- Parents’ Perception of Parent Education Survey Results (2013)
- The State of Parent Education in Houston, TX, (2012)