Investment & Innovation: Increasing Access to Quality, Affordable Child Care Before & During a Crisis
Exposure to high-quality early childhood education (ECE) is the foundation for future academic success, especially for children from low-income families. Increasing access to subsidized child care is one of the many pathways that Texas is utilizing to provide...
2020 Kroger School Food Rankings
2020 Kroger School Food Rankings
Early Childhood Apprenticeship Programs
Texas child care teachers care for an estimated 1 million babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children. Children birth through age three experience an incredible amount of brain growth which shapes their future learning, health, and behaviors. Child...
86th Texas Legislative Session Report: Legislation Impacting Children
With 27 freshman lawmakers along for the ride, the 86th Texas Legislative Session began on January 8, 2019, and the regular session ended 140 days later on May 27, 2019. On May 26, 2019, Governor Abbott signed a $250.7 billion budget of for the 2019-2021 biennium....
Texas Continues to Recover: Two Years After Harvey
Hurricane Harvey made landfall outside of Rockport, Texas on August 25, 2017, as a Category 4 storm. The storm proceeded to affect 13 million people and cause $125 billion in damage. It produced a maximum inundation level of six to ten feet above ground level, a...
Quality Child Care & the 88th Texas Legislature
In the 87th legislative session, CHILDREN AT RISK championed legislation that improved accessibility and quality of early childhood education in Texas. This session, our priorities are to help parents get back to work with affordable high quality child care and...
Building Gold Ribbon Schools
To understand school quality, each year CHILDREN AT RISK (C@R) ranks and grades schools across Texas. C@R celebrates schools that rise beyond expectations and excel academically. Gold Ribbon Schools are an example of these campuses that outperform their peers. More...
2019 School Food Rankings
Across Texas, over 3 million low-income students qualify for free or reduced-price school meals through federal programs such as the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program. For many of these children, meals eaten at school are the only...
Growing Up In Houston
From President & CEO of CHILDREN AT RISK, Dr. Robert Sanborn Data must be the catalyst and starting point to any conversation regarding the well-being of our children. While we can look at a multitude of indicators to gauge how we are doing as a city and state, we...
Fort Bend Community Resource Guide
CHILDREN AT RISK, in partnership with Fort Bend ISD’s Collaborative Communities, have released the 2019 Community Resource Guide. With versions in Spanish and English for schools counselors and nurses and parents alike, the guide lists the many non-profits in Fort...
2018-19 Parent Action Guides
Having trouble navigating your child’s school system? Unsure of your child’s education options? Looking to make sure your child is getting the services they need to succeed? Our 2018 regional Parent Action Guides aim to help parents answer these questions and more....
Building Brains & Economies
On a nine-city tour, CHILDREN AT RISK unveiled an executive summary of their upcoming report, Building Brains and Economies: Quality Child Care as an Engine for Economic Development in a 21st Century Texas, as well as a mapping tool to help local and state leaders...
RESOURCES & DATA TOOLS
Early Childhood Education
- Voices from the Field: Texas Child Care Providers Building Back Better (TX ECE Newsletter – Sept. 2021)
- COVID-19 Community Initiatives Supporting Children 0-5 and their Families (TX ECE Newsletter – Dec. 2020)
- Investment & Innovation: Increasing Access to Quality, Affordable Child Care Before & During a Crisis (2020)
- Early Childhood Apprenticeship Programs: Creating a Pipeline of Highly-Qualified Teachers (2019)
- Building Brains and Economies: Quality Child Care as an Engine for Economic Development in a 21st Century Texas (2018)
- Improved the Quality of Child Care Through Economies of Scale: A Look at Shared Services Approaches for Texas (2018)
- Pre-K in Texas: A Critical Component for Academic Success (2016)
- The Early Investment Project: Subsidized Child Care in Texas (2016)
- The State of Pre-K: Realities and Opportunities in Texas (2014)
- The Sex Trafficking Marketplace: Addressing Demand through Legislation and Tactics (2015)
- The Texas Safe House Movement: An Examination of Restorative Shelter Core Components and Recommendations (2011)
- The State of Human Trafficking in Texas (2009)
- Slavery Out of the Shadows (TYLA video featuring former Senior Staff Attorney, Dawn Lew, and CEO, Dr. Sanborn)
Texas Legislative Resources
- 83rd Legislative Session Report (2013)
- Report on Human Trafficking Legislation (2013)
- 83rd Legislative Session Priorities (2013)
- 82nd Legislative Session Report (2011)
- Report on Human Trafficking Legislation (2011)
- 82nd Legislative Session Priorities (2011)
Child Health & Nutrition
- Universal School Breakfast and At-Risk Afterschool Meal Case Studies (2014-2018)
- Food for Every Child: The Need for Healthy Food Retail in the Greater Dallas Area (2015)
- School Breakfast Programs in North Texas and Across the State (2013)
- Roadmap for Encouraging Grocery Development in Houston and Texas (full report) 2012
Growing Up Publications
- Growing Up in Houston, 2017-2018
- Growing Up in North Texas 2016: A Community Assessment for Tarrant County
- Growing Up in Houston, 2014-2016
- Growing Up In Houston, 2012-2014
- Growing Up in Houston, 2010-2012
- The Future of North Texas Children: Assessing the Quality of Life of Our Children, 2012-2014
- The Future of Texas: A Report on the Status of Our Children, 2010-2012
- The Future of Fort Bend’s Children, 2012-2014
- Fort Bend County Assessment, 2013
- The Future of Fort Bend’s Children, 2010-2012
Immigration & New American Children
Parenting & Family Well-Being
- Fatherhood Resources – National and Texas (2015)
- The State of Parent Education in Dallas County (2014)
- Triple P Parenting Pilot Evaluation (full report) (2014)
- A National Survey of Parent Support Legislation and Regulations (2014)
- Scaling Up Evidence-Based Parent Education in Houston, Texas (2013)
- Parents’ Perception of Parent Education Survey Results (2013)
- The State of Parent Education in Houston, TX, (2012)